Our Spring 2013 program, Michelangelo: The Artist, the Man and his Times, featuring Dr. William Wallace, took place from May 16th-21st. The trip began in Rome with a private visit to the Vatican Galleries and Sistine Chapel, which was marking its 500th anniversary. The program concluded in Florence with a private dinner at the feet of the David at the Accademia Gallery.
Thursday, May 16th
- 5:00 PM – Welcome session at the Hotel St. Regis, Rome and lecture by Dr. William Wallace, followed by a discussion with Dr. Bill Cook and Dr. William Wallace.
- Cocktails and Dinner in a historic Roman venue.
Friday, May 17th
- Morning visit to see Michelangelo’s design of the Campidoglio and special artworks in the Capitoline Museums, followed by a visit to view S Pietro in Vincoli.
- Lunch and visit to the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva and S Maria degli Angeli churches, focusing on Michelangelo’s contributions to each site.
- Dinner in a private Roman palace.
Saturday, May 18th
- Morning overview session focused on the Sistine Chapel, followed by a visit to St. Peter’s Basilica and lunch.
- Later-afternoon private visit to the Vatican Galleries and the Sistine Chapel.
- Dinner in a Roman villa.
Sunday, May 19th
- Morning departure via train to Florence.
- Visit to the Casa Buonarotti followed by lunch.
- Afternoon check-in to the Hotel St. Regis in Florence.
- Later-afternoon private visit to the Bargello Museum, followed by cocktails and dinner.
Monday, May 20th
- Morning overview session at the Hotel St. Regis in Florence, prior to visiting the Medici Tombs and the Laurentian Library, followed by a visit to the SS Annunziata to view the current major restoration project for Friends of Florence, the Chiostrino dei Voti (Cloister of the Vows).
- Luncheon in a private palace.
- Private visit to the Uffizi Gallery.
- Evening private visit to the Accademia Gallery, followed by cocktails and dinner at the feet of Michelangelo’s David and Prisoners.
Tuesday, May 21st
2013 May Program – Preliminary Itinerary as of December 2012.pdf
2013 May Program – Terms and Conditions.pdf
2013 May Program – Reservation Form.pdf
2013 May Program – Hotel Reservation Form for Rome.pdf