Our October 2016 Program will include a special tribute to the city of Florence as we unveil the Friends of Florence Botticelli Project in the Uffizi Gallery for the 50th anniversary of the devastating flood that damaged so many artworks, palaces and collections on November 4th, 1966.
(as of March 2016)
Thursday, October 13th
- Arrival at the St. Regis or Westin Excelsior Hotels in Florence.
- Welcome session followed by an overview lecture on Botticelli and Pollaiolo.
- Dinner at a private palace in Florence.
Friday, October 14th
- Morning exploration through Florence looking at various influences on Botticelli’s artwork including masterpieces by Filippo Lippi, Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio.
- Wine tasting luncheon at the Badia a Passignano with a visit to the first of Ghirlandaio’s Last Suppers, recently restored by Friends of Florence.
- Return to Florence in the afternoon.
- Visit Palazzo Pucci to view the private Botticelli in their collection followed by cocktails and dinner at the Archeological Museum of Florence.
Saturday, October 15th
- Departure for Rome by fast train.
- Visit various artworks in churches and private/public collections following our theme of Botticelli, Pollaiolo, and other artists who where influential.
- A luncheon in Rome.
- Late in the afternoon, private visits to the Sistine Chapel and other sites in the Vatican Galleries to view the Botticelli and Pollaiolo artworks.
- Return to Florence in the evening.
- Dinner at the historic Trattoria of Cammillo.
Sunday, October 16th
- Morning visit to San Marco while exploring the influence of Savonarola on Botticelli’s later artworks.
- Visit to the recently restored Cathedral Museum, the Opera del Duomo, to view the spectacular new exhibition spaces and completed projects by Friends of Florence including the Cantoria by Della Robbia, Gates of Paradise by Lorenzo Ghiberti, and the bronze Rustici group from the Baptistry.
- A Luncheon will be arranged during the course of the afternoon.
- Late afternoon departure for the historic vineyards and winery of the Marchesi Frescobaldi, the Castello di Nipozzano, for an evening of special wines and dinner.
Monday, October 17th
- Morning visit to the Church of Ognissanti, home to one of the Ghirlandaio’s Last Suppers and burial site of Botticelli.
- Visit the Uffizi’s Drawing Room Department for a private viewing of the superb drawings and incisions by Botticelli and Pollaiolo as well as the recently unveiled Study Room and Library, a restoration by Friends of Florence.
- A luncheon will be arranged during the afternoon.
- Finally, a late afternoon private unveiling of the Botticelli Room in the Uffizi Gallery followed by Cocktails and a Gala Dinner.
Tuesday, October 18th