Our fourth winter educational program in Florence explored the world of Dante and the Divine Comedy.
Friday, February 18th
- Welcome meeting at the Hotel Lungarno, followed by a lecture by Dr. Bill Cook on Dante’s Divine Comedy at the Palazzo Tornabuoni.
- During the day, various visits to the Baptistry of Florence, the Palazzo Vecchio, and other areas of the city as we walk our way through the first portion of the Divine Comedy, including luncheon in a private palace.
- Winetasting and dinner at Le Murate, a historic site in Florence with frescoed portraits of Dante and other important personages of medieval Florence.
Saturday, February 19th
- Morning departure to Siena and Montaperti, for visits to the Palazzo Pubblico, Castellare, Cathedral Museum, and the Archives of Monte dei Paschi, as we walk our way through the middle portion of the Divine Comedy.
- Luncheon in Siena at a private home.
- Winetasting at a Chianti estate followed by dinner with the world famous butcher and Dante enthusiast Dario Cecchini in Panzano in Chianti.
- Return to Florence after dinner.
Sunday, February 20th
- Departure by bus from Florence to go to Ravenna to visit the tomb of Dante and the churches and mosaics of San Vitale, Sant’Apollinare in Classe, and other sites.
- Lunch in Ravenna followed by an afternoon visit to the Certosa di Pomposa.
- Dinner in Bologna or as we return to Florence.
Monday, February 21st
- Viewing of the churches of San Miniato al Monte, Santa Croce, and the Riccardiana Library.
- Luncheon at the Cantinetta Antinori in Piazza Antinori.
- Private visit to the Uffizi Gallery to view the restoration of the Tribune and other works.
- Dinner in a private villa hosted by a Friends of Florence Board member.
Tuesday, February 22nd