Our 7th winter program explored the era of Giotto and Dante. Ross King and Bill Cook were our program historians.
Friday, February 14th
- Morning welcome session with lecture, The Age of Dante and Giotto, by Bill Cook and Ross King in the Sala delle Muse in Palazzo Tornabuoni.
- Visits to sites during the day related to the period of Giotto and Dante in Florence, including the Dante Alighieri Society – housed in the Palagio dell’Arte della Lana – and to the Church of Ognissanti to view the recently restored Cross by Giotto and the church that was the original home of the Rucellai Madonna (now in the Uffizi Gallery).
- Lunch at Harry’s Bar.
- Visit to Santa Croce to view the Giotto chapels, Cross by Cimabue, and other artworks following our theme of Dante and Giotto.
- Cocktails and dinner at the private gentlemen’s club Circolo dell’Unione.
Saturday, February 15th
- Morning departure to visit sites related to Giotto and Dante in Assisi. The day included a thorough viewing of the Basilica of San Francesco both prior to and following our luncheon at La Fortezza in the historic town center.
- Return to Florence in the later afternoon.
- Dinner at the historic Buca Lapi on the Piazza Antinori.
Sunday, February 16th
- Morning departure to travel to Padova via fast train.
- Private visit to the Scrovegni Chapel in Padova, followed by lunch and other site visits in the city.
- Return to Florence in the afternoon.
- Dinner at the historic Trattoria Camillo.
Monday, February 17th
- Private visit to view artworks by Giotto and other artists in the Uffizi Gallery, followed by an overview visit to the Horne Museum to view artworks connected to our theme.
- Luncheon in the center of Florence at the charming Cantinetta Antinori in Palazzo Antinori.
- Visit to the Church of Santa Maria Novella to view the Cross by Giotto and other artworks related to our theme.
- Attend a lecture for students of Syracuse University in Florence by Bill Cook on the theme of Dante.
- Cocktails and dinner at the Frescobaldi Palace in Florence, hosted by Marchese Ferdinando and Marchesa Rosaria Frescobaldi. Marchesa Rosaria Frescobaldi is a Board member of Friends of Florence.
Tuesday, February 18th
2014 February Program – Preliminary Itinerary as of September 2013.pdf
2014 February Program – Reservation Form.pdf
2014 February Program – Terms and Conditions.pdf