Luca della Robbia’s Cantoria for Florence Cathedral was commissioned in 1431 and initially served as an organ loft. It is currently housed in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo. The Cantoria’s ten large relief panels illustrate the text of Psalm 150, which is inscribed on its front.
Three of the panels, Boys Singing from a Book, Trumpeters and Dancers, and Singers with Organ, Lute and Harp will travel to the United States, along with three large illuminated choir books from the Cathedral, for an exhibit organized by the High Museum in Atlanta.
The exhibit, “Make A Joyful Noise:” Renaissance Art and Music at Florence Cathedral is currently on view at the Detroit Institute of Art, through May 17, 2015. It was previously on view at the High Museum in Atlanta.
All photos courtesy of Antonio Quattrone.