This program celebrated the completion of Friends of Florence’s 10th Anniversary restoration project, the Tribune in the Uffizi.
Thursday, June 21st
- Welcome meeting at the Sala Dante at the Hotel St. Regis in Florence, followed by a lecture, Competition and Collaboration in the Early Renaissance, by Professor Gary Radke, our program historian.
- A private visit to the Bargello Museum, followed by a Renaissance banquet in the Bargello’s central courtyard.
Friday, June 22nd
- A morning visit to Pistoia to visit works by Brunelleschi and Ghiberti, as well as other sites, including the Cathedral and the Baptistry.
- Afternoon visit to the Frilli Gallery 1860 outside Florence to learn the secrets of bronze casting. This is where the replicas of the Gates of Paradise were cast in 1990.
- An evening visit to the Accademia, including dinner at the foot of the David.
Saturday, June 23rd
- Private visit to the Orsanmichele Museum followed by a viewing of special sites at the Cathedral concentrating on our program theme. The morning events conclude with a visit to the Cathedral Museum.
- Lunch at the private Circolo dell’Unione Club.
- Visit to view the recently-restored bronze Giambologna Cross and the Cloister of the Vows of SS Annunziata, a future Friends of Florence project.
- Later-afternoon departure for the wine estate of Nipozzano, in the area where Ghiberti had agricultural properties.
- Wine tasting dinner at the Castle of Nipozzano, owned by the Marchesi Frescobaldi, Board members of Friends of Florence.
Sunday, June 24th
- In the morning, program participants had the opportunity to attend Mass in celebration of St. John the Baptist, the Patron Saint of Florence.
- Visit to the Horne Museum and Casa Vasari, followed by a private lunch at the Horne.
- Free afternoon to enjoy and observe the festivities for the feast day of St. John the Baptist.
- Cocktails and dinner in the private Palazzo Gondi, owned by Marchese Bernardo and Marchesa Vittoria Gondi, including viewing of the spectacular fireworks hosted by the city of Florence from the terraces of the Palace.
Monday, June 25th
- Morning viewings of the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo; the Sacristy of S. Trinità; and the Church of Santo Spirito.
- Luncheon in Palazzo Frescobaldi, hosted by Board members Rosaria and Ferdinando Frescobaldi.
- Celebration of the completion of the restoration of the Tribune, Friends of Florence’s 10th Anniversary project in the Uffizi Gallery, followed by dinner on the Uffizi’s terrace. After dark, Friends of Florence’s logo and images of the restored Tribune were projected onto the facade of Palazzo Vechio.
Tuesday, June 26th